Branch information: This article refers to the links of the branches. If you click on one of these links and then make a purchase from the listed advertiser, I will pay you a commission at no extra cost. Click here to read my Privacy and Partner Disclosure Policy.
Click here to skip the buying guide and go directly to the overview ↓
Health and fitness is a thriving industry that will remain so, because who doesn’t like a well-polished body? Whether it’s trying out a new diet that promises to give great results at night or buying the latest fitness equipment for your home gym, we don’t hesitate to spend our time and money experimenting with new things that claim to keep us in shape. Thick pencils are very popular these days. These are simple clamps designed to attach to all your lifting / clamping devices such as dumbbells, bars, lifting rods, etc. They increase the thickness of the rod, so you need to use more muscle and get faster and better results.
It all started with Fat Gripz, the first product of its kind, which was launched a few years ago to help people mimic training on thick poles at home. The manufacturer Fat Gripz launched it and says it can make your fingers, wrists and forearms work harder than normal. The harder they work, the better the results. Soon celebrities began to take a beating on these products and attracted the attention of millions of fitness enthusiasts and other potential competitors. Hundreds of products with thick handles are now sold on Amazon and hundreds of other online stores. Many of them are much cheaper than the Fat Gripz, but not all of them are worth buying. Some cheap products with thick handles are made of low-grade silicon and won’t last even a few months. In this blog we’ll tell you more about thick pencils and give you a list of some of the best products to consider.
Are thick handles effective?
That’s the real question. Our home gymnastics is pretty busy, so there’s no point in buying heavy handles if they’re not worth taking up space. That’s a good thing. A recent study conducted by Stony Brook University and the University of Mississippi has shown that fat intake increases strength and improves athletic performance. (1) Another study, published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Studies, concluded that they can significantly increase forearm and shoulder muscle activity and thus contribute to faster muscle growth. (2) Many other studies have concluded that by increasing the diameter of the rod more muscles can be used than is normally the case. (3) These studies are sufficient to demonstrate that fat pencils should be absolutely present in every home office.
Advantages of better grease grips
Fat handles are not limited to muscle building and strength. Here are a few other reasons why it is in high demand today:
- They help increase grip. The low gripping force is the reason why many of us can’t put enough weight on our backs and biceps. A better grip on the grease helps you to improve grip and lift heavier loads easier and safer.
- It helps relieve elbow pressure. Thin stems exert more pressure on the elbows and wrists of the rotator. Grease Pliers increase their diameter and help to distribute the weight evenly. The pressure moves to the forearms and arms, protecting the elbows from injury.
- Thicker handles help activate the muscles of the small arms and forearms that would otherwise be neglected. No matter how hard you try, weaker muscle groups can affect the results you get, which is why fitness enthusiasts and athletes are now focusing on them.
- Thicker handles also help to shrink the whole body, not just the forearms and arms. With a simple fat absorption you can specifically train the chest, shoulder, trunk and back muscles.
Side effects of fat handles
To date no such side effects are known. However, if you are allergic to rubber, you may get a rash in the palm of your hand. The risk of allergic reactions is higher when using an inexpensive stirrup made of rubber or silicone of inferior quality. Fat Gripz and the other products below are not made of inferior allergenic materials, so they can be safely purchased even for sensitive skin.
Who can use thick handles
It can be used by almost anyone who wants to improve the strength of the upper body. However, we do not recommend it for beginners. If you’re new to strength training, start with thin rods. Once you have mastered its use, you can start using wax crayons. This is because the use of fat pencils requires more concentration and more exercise. If you’re a beginner, you can’t balance them properly and risk injury.
What to look out for when buying thick pins
As mentioned above, many fitness equipment manufacturers have started selling thick handles. But they’re not all worth buying. Here are some elements/functions to consider when purchasing the best grease gun for your home studio:
- Must be made of high quality materials. Prefer high quality rubber and avoid cheaper rubber and silicone handles because they do not last long.
- They must have a large surface area. You don’t have to fight to put your whole hand in it. The larger the surface area, the less pressure is exerted on the elbows and wrists.
- They must be made of food and non-toxic materials.
- They must be ergonomically designed to prevent slipping and injury.
Best product : Grease sleeves
This award-winning product is ideal for people who want to increase the size and strength of their hands. The manufacturer claims that it has been used by many NFL players, bodybuilders, special forces soldiers, UFC fighters, cross-fitness athletes and thousands of fitness enthusiasts around the world. There are three types of Fat Gripz: A series, an original bestseller and extremes. All three are equally effective, but designed for different sets of exercises. Each comes with a 100% money back guarantee for 30 days.
- Can be used for any dumbbell, dumbbell or chin bar.
- It’s made of military material, so the manufacturer says it will last a lifetime.
- Displays perfectly the thick stems used by athletes.
- Has received many prestigious awards.
- Several customers complained that it was not the right thing to do for their hands. It is not a problem for the product. Thick pliers are available in three different diameter sizes, and you have to choose the one you think is the best solution.
- Some customers say that the smell of rubber takes time.
Summary: With 4.7 stars and over 2300 reviews, this is definitely one of the best greasy pens you can buy.
Best for power blocks: E2shop Dumbbell casings
They’re perfect for power blocks!
So what I loved about these Fat Grips is that they are only 10 cm long and therefore fit perfectly with the dummy balls of the Power Blocks, unlike the Fat Gripz and many other pens.
- Integrate Power Block dumbbells (most products are not included).
- Maybe not long enough for some hands.
- You can’t get around the bar as well as the Fat Gripz.
Summary: If you’ve got the power blocks, take them!
Best prize winner: Iron bull with alpha 2.0 retention capacity
An excellent alternative
With a rating of 4.7 stars and over 350 Amazon values, it deserves to be on the list of the best bold writing instruments. Supplied in standard size, 2 inches in diameter. The manufacturer says you can use it in any set of simulators and poles, making each exercise an extreme workout for muscle development. The connecting rods of the Iron Pull Strength alpha have a unique curved design that allows for a more natural hand position.
- Can be used on any dumbbell, dumbbell bar, cable tie or simulator handle.
- It has a patented ergonomic design for better grip and safety.
- The manufacturer claims he can fit any tyre in 5 seconds.
- Made of high quality rubber.
- It’s guaranteed for life.
- Several customers complained that they couldn’t hold their drawbar.
Summary: Not as comfortable as the Fat Gripz, but rather cheap and recommended for beginners.
Interesting alternative price: Handles
They are not greasy pens in the true sense of the word, but they are just as simple, practical and effective. No wonder they got 4.8 stars in over 2,000 reviews. The evaluation itself speaks out for their user-friendliness. Although sold as an alternative to training gloves in gyms, they increase the diameter of the training rod so you get more sweat and more. These handles have a professional and patented design that prevents slipping, calluses and fatigue.
- There are several options available, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
- It can be used for lifting, dead weight, sideways pulling, shoulder pulling, low rows, pulling up and much more.
- Full palm protection.
- Patented structure design to prevent slipping.
- No restrictions on the movement of the palms of the hands.
- It’s more like a poem. There’s no locking system.
Summary: Although it is not the right grease grip with structure clamp and use, it is still a very economical and useful product to simulate training in thick bars. Ideal for beginners.
Yes4Gym Records – Dumbbell Handles
These double grease grips can be used for crossfitting, WOD, bodybuilding and bodybuilding. They are made of high quality, non-slip rubber. They are ergonomically designed and can also be used by beginners. The edges are fitted with a bow that both provides comfort and prevents slipping. It got 4.6 stars and over 250 ratings on Amazon…
- It is sold in pairs and is much cheaper than the other best pencils.
- Can be used for various training purposes.
- The dimensions are 4.7 long and have 2.2 outer diameters and 1 inner diameter.
- Can be used for rods, dumbbell grips, kettles, poles, cables, cable machine accessories and kettles
- One year warranty
- Some people have had trouble adjusting.
Summary: They’re good for beginners, but not for professionals. Rubber is not an army class and will not last long if used by a professional athlete.
Nuclear adjustment handles 2.0
- It is made of military grade silicon.
- It has a very dense structure, 2 inch outer diameter, 1 inch inner diameter and 4 5/8 inch long.
- Characterized by a unique transverse coupling.
- It’s guaranteed for life.
- Not suitable for certain users.
Summary: The lifetime warranty means that it is very durable and can be used by athletes, bodybuilders, etc.
The Greentental gym
Made from food-grade silicone, these oily bars fit into a variety of exercise equipment and can help you improve your weight lifting and strength training. Each package contains two pliers and costs considerably less than the other best grease bar pliers. The unique design of the device makes it non-slip and extremely easy to use. It is highly recommended for beginners and has received 4.3 stars and more than 70 reviews.
- Sold in pairs and costs much less than other greasy pens.
- Made from 100% food quality silicone.
- It is characterized by its non-slip construction.
- Can be used for different devices.
- It’s made of silicone, not rubber. Silicones do not last as long as rubber, but they are excellent for the price you pay.
Summary: Excellent product for beginners as well as for training on thick poles.
Brinx Handles – Grease Training Adapter
Made of military grade silicone, this greasy handle can be used on any dumbbell, dumbbell, cable holder or kettle. It has a large hole for easy and quick application. In addition, it has a cross-section that provides better grip and greater safety. The manufacturer claims that the ergonomic design helps to reduce the pressure on the joints. It is available in two different sizes: a 4 inch long and a 5 inch long. Both have the same inner and outer diameters.
- Ergonomically designed with cross-hatching for better grip.
- Made of high quality silicone, 100% resistant.
- Can be used by bodybuilders, powerlifters, athletes, UFC fighters and personal trainers.
- The manufacturer claims that their greasy handles will not crack, discolour, tighten, warp or slip in the foreseeable future.
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Just like all other thick rod rods, some people have had trouble assembling these rod rods.
Summary: With a rating of 4.6 stars and 150 customer reviews, Brink’s pens are absolutely perfect for your home studio. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, they’re worth their price.
Although cheap, greasy handles are very useful for building muscle strength and upper body strength. They are an excellent alternative to the purchase of thick and expensive rods. In addition, one handle can be used on multiple devices. So you don’t have to buy a completely different material to train with thick rods. If you’ve ever thought about working in a fat bar, you should give it a try. We hope that we have provided you with a very useful list of some of the best fat horses. You can find more useful information on our blog.
fat gripz one
Disclosure: We are a professional review company & our reviews are not biased towards any of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give marks to only the very best that is given by our author. We are very independently owned & the opinions expressed here are our own. However, if you purchase anything after clicking the links present in the articles then we get some commissions for it which help maintaining the websites expenses like servers, security etc.